The Old Municipal Buildings 19 East Street
020 3151 3915; 020 3369 4236
2 Bedroom Apartment, Station Approach, Bromley, BR2 7EQ
This large two bedroom property has recently been redecorated through out and new floor coverings put down, located on the second floor above Sainsburys in Hayes this property offers good size accomodation in a convenient location. Available now!
Hayes is a place in the London Borough of Bromley, south-east London, England. It has two main areas of activity: the ancient village and suburban Hayes.
The ancient village.
The name Hayes is recorded from 1177 as hoese from the Anglo-Saxon meaning "a settlement in open land overgrown with shrubs and rough bushes". It formed an ancient, and later civil, parish of Kent of around 1,282 acres (5.19 km2). The village stood at the junction of Hayes Lane, leading north to Bromley (one mile distant), and what is now known as Pickhurst Lane, leading west to West Wickham. The centre of the old village is now called Hayes Street. The village school was here, as is the parish church of St Mary the Virgin. Parts of the church date back to the thirteenth century; however it was subject to heavy restorations by George Gilbert Scott and John Oldrid Scott in the nineteenth century. The public house, also on Hayes Lane, is called "The George". Hayes Street Farm, still shown on modern maps, is to the north of the village centre.
Both William Pitt the Elder, 1st Earl of Chatham (1708â€“1778), and William Pitt the Younger (1759â€“1806) lived at Hayes Place. The house was demolished in 1933 and the site redeveloped, but its occupants are remembered in such road names as Chatham and Pittsmead Avenues. Prior to being demolished, Hayes Place was owned by the Hambro family (of banking fame) and a couple of roads bear the family names.
The branch railway from Elmers End, originally known as the West Wickham and Hayes Railway, was opened on May 29, 1882. Hayes station is a terminus.
Today the area contains some small shops, though the local post office closed in 2004 (the nearest is now in the main shopping area near the station). The timbered cottage on the eastern side of Hayes Street was a newsagents called "The Walnut Tree" until 2006 when it reverted to residential use. The former village school is now a second smaller village hall; the local primary school which opened in around 1930 to replace it is in George Lane; in recent years it has expanded in size and now has three forms in each year. It is extremely popular and many of its pupils go on to Hayes School in West Common Road.
Much of the area to the west and north-west of the original village has been taken over by suburbia. West Wickham and Bromley are completely joined with Hayes; and Coney Hall estate, beyond the Orpington - Croydon road is also part of the pattern. To the east and south, however, the open space of Hayes Common precludes building of any kind.
2 double bedrooms
Close to transport and shops
Large living room
Modern fitted kitchen
Contact branch for relevant Energy Performance Certificate
- £1,125 per Calendar Month
2 Bedroom Apartment To Rent